Story of AIESEC in Sri Lanka by First Member Committee President of AIESEC in Sri Lanka


Dear members of AIESEC Singapore, members representing AIESEC Sri Lanka, Supporters & Friends,
I have been requested to share my AIESEC story with you, and it is with pleasure I do so, as it might make a difference to someone’s life.
It has been over 18 years since I joined AIESEC, but I feel I have never left it! I joined AIESEC at the University of Sydney in the early 1990s. Why did I join AIESEC?- because it was different – it challenged and encouraged us youth to realise our potential through providing a platform to try things out. It allowed us to learn by doing things, it accepted diversity and promoted the fact that we are all the same. I thought this was brilliant.
I was on the LC executive team at AIESEC Sydney responsible for the exchange program. I enjoyed the opportunities given to me by AIESEC and felt very privileged. I am a Sri Lankan born and completed most of my secondary education there. So, I realized what the Sri Lankan university students were missing out on . It was a time of turmoil and instability for Sri Lanka. I felt that AIESEC will bring a lot of opportunities and hope for young students, as they are the future of the country. I felt that they could make a contribution towards achieving peace and harmony.
Thus, as soon as I completed my undergraduate degree at the University of Sydney in 1994, I grabbed the opportunity to spend a year in Sri Lanka creating AIESEC. I only had a vision and everything else depended upon conditions on site. I had a group of about 60 committed members from Sri Lanka who supported me tirelessly. We became the 85th member nation of AIESEC at IC ’95. But it was very tough going, as we did not have any sponsors, supporters or resources to begin with. We had to start everything from scratch. There was a lot of leg work. At times it was frustrating and tiring, but we always had a vision. We kept out spirits high. Those of you who have met AIESECers from Sri Lanka would know that they work hard and also party hard, if not harder!
Our motto was “Daring to Dream”. It was the same motto as IC 1995, which was hosted by us that year. The year 1995 really tested my courage and determination. I was hopeful that one day we will reap the fruit of our hard work. I knew I wouldn’t see big results during my term. My intention was to lay a strong foundation.
Fifteen years later, I feel that this had been one of the best decisions of my life. I recently heard from the MC that AIESEC Sri Lanka has raised 50 trainees in the last 6 months and they have another 6 months until end of term. Their goal is to raise 200 trainees by end of term. This was a moment of triumph for me. I was overjoyed! Back in 1995 this was only a dream. Today AIESEC Sri Lanka is a very active member nation living the dream of AIESEC. Those AIESECers in Sri Lanka who have served in the past 15 years have not only made an impact to the youth in Sri Lanka, but also to those internationally. They are also having a lot of fun doing what they do. It is a truly international organisation full of energy, enthusiasm and hope. They work with the same determination which my team and I worked with 15 years ago.
AIESEC has helped me believe in my potential. Since then I, along with my husband, have also founded a charity to help children affected by the Asian Tsunami of 2004. We engage in it in our free time. AIESEC has also given me wonderful friendships around the world. I believe I can achieve anything if I want to!
My message for you, AIESECers, is to believe in yourselves and your potential. We are all able to move mountain if we set our hearts for it. Don’t be afraid to make decisions and take on challenges. Use the opportunity provided by AIESEC to try something out, as you will not be punished for making mistakes. In fact, you would be rewarded, if not now, some time in the future! It is all about learning and experiencing. AIESECers, DARE TO DREAM!!

Dinoshi Keiper (nee Goonewardene)
MCP AIESEC Sri Lanka ‘95

You Might Also Like

0 comments